Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Black Bean Burger Recipe

I have a recent obsession with Black Bean Burgers. They are all I order at Marlow's Tavern, which is a restaurant right around the corner from our house. I also recently tried one at 5 Season's Brewing Company, which was yummy! When I try something out that I love I instantly have the urge to try to make it at home. This week I took a stab at black bean burgers for the first time. I knew I wanted them to be a little spicy and of course delicious. I read a few recipes online and ultimately decided on the following.
*Note: these measurements are all approximate. I will measure exact next time I make them.

Ingredients:

  • 1 can of black beans: rinsed, dried, then smashed with a fork
  • 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, diced
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of mushrooms, diced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce 
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder 
  • salt and pepper to taste



Directions:

Add bell pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms to food processor. You want to chop everything up a little bit more, but not too much (you don't want to liquify it)! Next add the mixture to the black beans, then add egg and mix everything together. Now add seasonings, hot sauce and oats and mix well. Form into 4 patties.

Heat a pan on the stove over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Cook on each side for about 5-8 minutes depending on stove top.

I topped mine with ketchup, red onion and lettuce!

Also, I made mine ahead of the time and refrigerated them and it worked just fine!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. oh that souns yummy! and this recipe came at a great time too. we are trying to replace as much meat in our diet as possible, while sticking to our budget, which almost seems impossible. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy! Black beans are very affordable, we are trying to stick to our budget as well! :)

      Delete