Saturday, August 11, 2012

DIY Diaper Cake

This past weekend I went to see my sister for her last baby shower! I was beyond excited because well I am ALWAYS excited to see my sis and because I was helping plan the shower with her sister-in-laws! Although I was planning long distance, it was so much fun! (Especially since it was for my sister and Carter)

I wanted to share a DIY project I did for the shower! I decided to make a diaper cake. I had done this once before but I wanted it to be a little bit different. Since she is having a boy she does not like anything with bows or anything that is remotely "girly." So I thought that I needed to make a clean, simple, classic cake with no bows!

First I got all of my supplies together:
Diapers
Bottle of Baby Lotion
Bottle
Ribbon
Rubberbands

*I do not like to use glue on the diapers so I rubber-band them together so no diaper is wasted!* 

After that I started rolling up each individual diaper, keeping it together with a small rubber-band. (I used about 68 diapers total) After you roll up all the diapers, then you start to put everything together. You start with the bottle of baby lotion and add diapers around like so:








On the bottom layer you will do two rows around like you see in the picture and then one more around to make 3 full rows. Then you will continue with the middle layer. This layer will have two rows around the lotion bottle. Next you will set the baby bottle on top and wrap a row of diapers around the bottle to make your third/top layer of the cake. Here are some pictures of adding layers and playing around with some ribbon options:




After you get that top layer on then you can add the ribbon and make sure everything looks perfect! I ended up using three different kinds of ribbon: a 1.5 inch green, 1.5 inch navy w/ pattern and a 7/8 inch light blue. Here is the the finished product:




And here we are...



No comments:

Post a Comment